Photographer and travel writer Peter Jones has seen it all and eaten everywhere. At least, this is what he tells me and he’s certainly got the stories and knowledge to back up these claims. It’s one of the reasons his show Jones on Food and Travel is so entertaining. That and the guests are half the reason I agreed to do a weekly spot called Deborah Dishes on Food. The other half of the reason is that I get to be a food taster every other week. We’ve tried everything from cheese to Caribbean food, fish and chips to pork pies. And chocolate. My goodness, the chocolate.
If you’ve got the travel bug or are curious about all things culinary, check out the show on Monday mornings, 10am-noon on Puritans Radio, where you can listen live. You can also listen to earlier editions online (we’ve got each show available on Dropbox) or you download each to your device for listening later on.
- Jones on Food and Travel: April 3: Regular guest Dawn Gascoigne of Travel Counsellors flies solo but is still (as always) a fount of useful information about where to go, how to get there and what to see. Captain Brown of the world’s favourite airline offers us tales from the cockpit . There’s a live outside broadcast with Vicky Ellington at the grand reopening of Munchies Burger Bar. And both co-presenters Deborah Menikoff Simmons and Gayle Hogan get all cheesy while Peter Evan Jones keeps the whole thing together.
- Jones on Food and Travel: March 27: Food! Travel! Photography! We had a bit of everything today thanks to two special guests – Brenda Difford and Maureen Tyrell who give some insider info on where to eat out in the area. For those that missed it the first time, we have an encore of the ladies behind ‘The Supper Circle‘, talking about their pop up restaurant. Gayle brings in chocolate and we all do our best to not finish it all in one go. Deborah talks paella, Black Forest cake and learns that there is more to celery than meets the eye. Or tastebuds as it were.
- Jones on Food and Travel: March 6: If you missed it the first time around, this is the chance to hear the interview with James Lehman of Banbury Butchers from earlier in the year. Then Rina Burman came in to talk all things Mauritius and finally Tom from Lucha Burrito tells us about the whys and wherefores of burritos. Deborah divulges NYC food secrets and we talk food markets from around the world.
- Jones on Food and Travel: February 27: Liv Wypior bring us up to date with what is happening in the world of veganism and answers questions she has no doubt heard a million times before. Šárka Naivertová tells about her ascent of Kilimanjaro while Deborah Menikoff Simmons and Gayle Hogan chip in on it all.
- Jones on Food and Travel: February 6: Features Dawn Gascoigne and Lindsay Aspinall of Travel Counsellors with their special guest followed by Mark Beynon of the Chatsworth and Queensway fish saloons talks fish and chips. ‘Deborah Dishes on Food’ tackles food festivals and the tasting panel try fish and chips and chocolate truffles courtesy of Diane Kenny of First We Eat whilst Peter Evan Jones keeps it all together.
- Jones on Food and Travel: Jan 30: we talk to the top three pubs in the Banbury Guardians recent poll….Alistair Dempster at The Gate Hangs High, Assumpta Golding at the Chandlers Arms and no.1 Leigh Chambers and Tanicha Rianne Boneham of the Three Conies and Deborah dishes on food worth traveling for.
- Jones on Food and Travel: Jan 23: Kicking things off, Peter chats with Max Bantleman and Andy Howard about writing and travel writing in particular. Then he interviews Anthony Robinson from The Kitchen, Farnborough who shares his journey from The Savoy to The Soho Farmhouse. Then ‘Dishing on Food’ gets trendy with food trends and finally a double tasting panel put together by Gayle Hogan – sampling Afro Caribbean street food and a selection from Hannah’s Big Cookies.
- Jones on Food and Travel: Jan 16: Peter talks to Rachel Steiger and Jo Smith of Banbury’s latest eaterie ‘the supper circle‘, James Lehman of Banbury Butchers, we visit a local pub and Deborah “dishes on food.”
- Jones on Food and Travel Jan 9: Local travel experts Dawn Gascoigne and Lindsay Aspinall of Travel Counsellors are on at the top of the show for their monthly run down or where to go and how to get there, then Peter takes us to the Stratford Butterfly Farm, Dishing on Food talks trash about Damn Nellie Melba and the tasting panel – Deborah Menikoff Simmons, Gayle Hogan and Captain Brown pick at some savoury pies.